Youth Organization (YO) Annual Report January 2011
Prepared by CHERYL EVANGELOPOULOS
• Members of the YO group on occasion early last year attended the youth group meetings on Wednesday nights at Sts. Peter and Paul, on the invitation of Jessica Kincaid.
• The YO group has been invited by Sts. Peter and Paul to collect toiletry items for Haiti, to be delivered by the IOCC. All items were given to the youth group of St. Peter and Paul to assemble and deliver to the IOCC.
• On January 30th, an ice-skating outing was planned. In lieu of the cold weather, and at the last minute, we decided to go and see a movie and then we went out for pizza. The movie was Sherlock Holmes, which unbeknownst to all had some innuendo to the occult. This gave the kids some insight to a different belief, which happened to fit into their church school topic of differing religious beliefs.
• A “cheeseburger social” was held on April 11 after Divine Liturgy. The teens watched the movie, “The Passion of Christ”, and then were treated to cheeseburgers.
• A few of our YO and parish members participated in the Hike for Life on May 8th.
• YO and Project Mexico participants hosted Cinco De Mayo celebration on May 2nd after Liturgy. This fundraiser was to help support those who are going on the Project Mexico trip. About $600 was collected, and a great time was had by all!
• All shoes collected for the organization, Share Your Soles, were delivered.
• As the new church school year approached, Maria Kopulos and I voiced our concern that we need someone to ovetake this ministry.
• Nov. 28th, the Yo hosted its first Turkey Bowl. Jr. High students and some adults came out to play football which turned into soccer. Everyone then came back to the Evangelopoulos home for a Lenten tailgate meal, due to the Nativity fast.
Plans for 2010:
• We are planning on having a youth month in Feb. We are in the process of organizing a collection of goods for St. Innocence Orphanage. After those who went to Project Mexico got to personally know the boys in the orphanage, we would like our YO to collect items that they listed as things that they really need, clothing, shoes, etc. A YO outing will be planned for Feb.