Youth Organization (YO) Annual Report January 2010
Prepared by CHERYL EVANGELOPOULOS
· YO hosted a bake sale on Feb 15 to raise money for an orphanage in Guatemala, and thanks to the generosity of our parish they were able to raise $250.
· As a Lenten event, 7 YO members joined Father Andrew and parishioners for an event at the Garden Center. The kids attended a prayer service with the residents and stayed to socialize over cookies and lemonade.
· A few of our YO attended a “Freeze out for Homeless” held on Nov 20-21. This event was sponsored by Sts. Peter and Paul Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Palos Park. The event raised money to help street kids. They had a fun time, and got to meet other teens from surrounding Orthodox churches.
· On November 30, YO joined the Venturing group and served dinner to the women and children at PADS.
· After the Christmas program on Dec 20, the kids continued the Christmas cheer at a party at the Evangelopoulos’. They played games, went on a digital scavenger hunt, ate pizza and socialized together. All had a great time!
· YO had its own table at the St. Luke’s New Year celebration held on Jan 8. The kids enjoyed each other’s company.
Plans for 2010:
· We have been invited by Jessica Kincaid from Sts. Peter and Paul in Countryside, to join them on their Wednesday evening teen nights. We will try to plan on going once a month as a group, depending on when we can get a few of our teens together, so they can be brought there. Of course, if any teens would like to go on their own, they will be welcomed. We have also talked to Jessica about combining our parishes for a few activities to come.
· Jan 30 we have plans to go ice-skating at Centennial Park in Orland Park and then out for pizza, hopefully the weather will cooperate.
· We plan to go play laser tag in late February or early March.
· We will collect shoes for the Share Your Soles foundation as our Lenten project. Fliers will be handed out with the bulletins for parishioners to bring in their gently used shoes. After lent, the kids will get together and have a day shining and cleaning shoes and then delivering them and sorting them for this worthy organization located in Alsip. Sts. Peter and Paul have expressed interest in helping us with this.