Director of Christian Education Report Annual Meeting January 2014
Presently the Church School (2013-2014) consists of 66 children and 10 regular teachers. Our staff members are: Toddlers/Pat Harrison, – Preschool & Kindergarten/Suzanne Kopulos, – Grades 1 & 2 / Cheryl Evangelopoulos & Lynn Betsanes, – Grade 3 / Maria Kopulos & Adolph Galinski, – Grades 4, 5&6/ Angela Tatooles & Diane Nickolaou, - Grades 7 & 8 (Junior High) /Aristea Zekios, - High School/Sub Deacon John Segvich. Sarah Stamatakos heads the “healthy snack” program.
• The front office was closed off in order secure the education department’s equipment and resources.
• Teen Lenten retreat was held 3/23, 15 youths attended.
• First confession class was held (for 2nd graders)
• We hosted a movie, "Life of Pi" on 4/7 in conjunction with Movie Club for church school and adults.
• Bible Challenge was held for 1st grade to adults
• May 19th last day of church school classes and Mary Jo Werbiansky and Lynn Rizo who retired after over 20 years each of teaching church school were recognized.
• June 9th graduates were recognized.
• The summer was spent preparing for a new church school that began with a refreshing start.
• Church school began Sept. 8, and it was one of the best attended opening days in history! There are 66 children on the roster, and over 60 were in attendance!
• There was a $10.00 per child registration fee for books, with a $30.00 cap for families.
• Icon Education is running with Anthea Huisman heading up that ministry.
• An open house was held for parents on Oct 20. It was a time to have all the parents view the new classrooms, upgrade, and hear about what the kids are learning this year.
• No Church School on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, Nov 30th.
• On December 15th we had a visit from St. Nicholas.
• Christmas program for children up to 3rd grade was held Dec. 15th, headed up by Pat Harrison.
• No church school Dec 28th, but Stea held a short lesson on St Basil and the Vasilopita tradition for children attending church that date.
• Church school resumed January 5th.
• We will start to focus on Lent, once all get back in 2014.
Upcoming Plans for 2014:
To meet the spiritual education and social needs of our youth in order to keep our Church School program viable and growing.
• Lenten Retreat
• DVD's for rooms/education
• Supplies to replenish since we've cleaned house
• Office area to be reorganized in future
• Making sure that all teachers’ needs are met
• Making sure the children are engaged and motivated to learn, by giving them what they need.