Korsun Mother of God Icon
Commerated on October 9th.
The Korsun Icon of the Mother of God is believed to be one of those painted by the holy Evangelist Luke, and it had been preserved in Ephesus. On October 9, 988, a copy of this icon was transferred from Korsun to Kiev by the holy Great Prince Vladimir Equal of the Apostles (July 15), and it came to be called the Korsun Icon. Later this icon was transferred to Novgorod, and from there to Moscow to the Dormition cathedral in the Kremlin. Another copy of this icon of the Mother of God was brought from Greece to Russia in 1162 by the Nun Euphrosyne of Polotsk (May 23).
St. Euphrosyne founded the Savior monastery at Polotsk. When she learned that there was an icon painted by St. Luke at Menignus in Greece, she sent rich presents to the Byzantine Emperor and the Patriarch Chrysovergos with a request to send her this icon.
The holy image was sent to Rus from Ephesus, passing through Korsun. At the request of the inhabitants of that city it remained there about a year, thus it became known as the Korsun Icon.
In the year 1239, Alexandra, the daughter of Prince Bryachislav of Polotsk, on her way to be married to the holy Great Prince Alexander Nevsky (November 23), brought this icon to the city of Toropets.
The Korsun Icon is also mentioned in the Life of St. Dorothy of Kashin ](September 24).
Taken for the OCA Website.