Events Are In Sequence - Please Scroll Down
St. Luke Patronal Feastday
Fr. Andrew giving the blessing at the end of the Liturgy. This was the first year that the parishioners of the four OCA parishes of the South side of Chicago gather to celebrate the feast day of St. Luke. In attendance were Fr. Myron Manzuk and Fr. Luke Nelson. The combined choir was directed by Maria Vrame.
A continential breakfast was sponsored by St. Luke Youth Organization to help fund their Christmas Stocking Charity Project.
The table was greatly laden.
Our St. Luke Youth Organization.
St. Innocent Orthodox Church's 50th Anniversary
St. Innocent Orthodox Church in Tarzana California celebrated it's 50th anniversary. Pictured are the five priests who served over the 50 years. Fr. Sergei Glagolev, Fr. Thaddeus Wojcik, Fr Andrew Harrison, Fr. Gregory Safchuk and the present Rector Fr. Nicolas Boldireff.
The parishioners of St. Innocent accepting the call to draw near to Christ as they receive His body and blood at the Anniversary Liturgy.
Group photo of the church school children with Metropolitan Herman and Bishop Benjamin, the Bishop of Berkeley.
The Anniversary dinner was held at the Woodland Hills Country Club. Sub deacon and Parish Warden Bernard Wilson was the Master of Ceremonies. He was received into the Orthodox Church when Fr.Andrew was Rector.
A Glimpse Of Russia
Fr. Andrew led a pilgrimage to Russia with 8 others from August 28th to
Sept 8th. 2005. The unanimous opinion of the group was that Russia had changed and is
still changing into a free democracy with Christian values. Everywhere you see churches
being restored and the faithful attending services. Rumors about crime are exaggerated.
The entire time we felt as safe as we would visiting any city in the USA. The 16 photos
are just the highlights of the trip. Click to The Entire Slideshow Of The Pilgrimage To Russia
The Group was composed of seven people from Chicago and two from New J ersey. First row bottom left to right - Walter, Mary Ann and Matuska Roberta, Second row John, Matuska Pat, Frs. Anthony and Fr. Andrew, and our two Anitas. The photo was taken at JFK before we boarded the plane for Helsinki Finland and then a change of plane then on the Moscow.
Newly constructed Cathedral of Christ the Savior dedicated in August 19, 2000. This Church is an exact copy of the Church that Stalin demolished on December 5, 1932. He planned to built a temple to the revolution with a giant statue of Lenin on the top. His plans never materialized because of problems with the location and World War 2. An Olympic swimming was built on the site.
This photo of the interior was taken from a guide book. Photos of the interior are not allowed to be taken because of they disturb the faithful. The church can hold 5000 people The original Church took 44 years to complete. It's replacement took only 5 years to complete because of modern construction methods and the dedication of the people.
The Cathedral of the Resurrection or Church of the Spilt Blood. It was built on the spot where Tsar Alexander II was assassinated by a terrorist bomb. The Church was also slated for demolition. The dynamite was already in place when the second world war broke out and it was decided to use the dynamite for munitions.
Fr. Andrew, Fr. Anthony and Archimandrite Zacchaeus in front of St. Catherines. after the Divine Liturgy which commemorated the one year memorial of the Children who were killed in Baslan last year. St. Catherine is the Orthodox Church in America Embassy church in Moscow. It was given by the Patriarch of Moscow Alexius in 1998. It was being used as an apartment building during the Soviet era and it is now under restoration. Fr. Andrew presented Fr. Zacchaeus a check for $500 from St. Luke to help in this restoration.
For more information on St. Catherine the Great Martyr Church of Moscow and our pilgrims, please click on this link. st-catherine.ru/en/news/news.php?newsid=124
St. Sophia's in Novgorod the oldest Church in Russia built in 1045 by Byzantine craftsman. Fr. Andrew and Fr. Anthony concelebrated the liturgy with local clergy. After the Liturgy they were presented with gift icon from Archbishop Lev who was not able to be present.
Fr. Andrew was given permission to photograph the walls of St. Sophia's because he would like to see the side walls of St. Luke painted in a similar Byzantine motif. The symbolism of the draped cloth is a sign being present at Christ's Eucharistic table.
The Nativity of the Theotokos Skete in Peryn built in 1204. The location of this church is one of the most picturesque spots in the Novgorod region This is where the river Volhov begins at Lake Limen. In 1991 the entire Peryn peninsula with the Church and other buildings were given back Orthodox Church where a monastic revival is taking place. We met Hieromonk Tikhon and Novice Vladimir.
The is the reliquary of St. Tikhon of North America. He presided over the Russian Orthodox Church during the Bolshevik revolution in 1917. He mysteriously died in 1925 and was buried secretly in the Donskoy Monastery. The place of his burial was unknown until it was discovered in 1992 during renovation out the monastery. All in the group had an opportunity to venerate his relics and purchase icons.
For information concerning the life of St. Tikhon Enlightener of North America please click here
The reliquary of St. Innocent of Alaska. His relics are located in the refectory chapel in the Trinity-St. Sergius Monastery. Fr. Andrew brought an Icon from America with him to place on his relics. St. Innocent was the first residing Orthodox Bishop in America and did extensive missionary work in California and Alaska.
For information concerning the life of St. Innocent Apostle to America please click here
The Church of the Holy Spirit at Trinity- St. Sergius Monastery built in 1474. It is designed to have bells hung inside. The central barrel of the dome is elongated.
The Pavilion Hall is one of the most magnificent rooms in the Hermitage. Besides the large mechanical clock in the form of a life size golden peacock there are four fountains called the fountain of tears and a large floor mosaic copied for an ancient Roman design. This was Catherine's favorite room.
During the trip we had several opportunities to be entertained by folk orchestras with dancing and singing in Russian traditional dress. This photo was taken within the Kremlin walls of the old city of Great Novgorod. The word great is used to separate it from another city with the same name.
A primitive wooden church in a museum village made of oak and roofed with aspen and birch bark shingles. This is an example of the way churches were build before the use of masonry. Many of the churches shown replaced earlier wooden churches which burned down.
On the day before we returned to America Fr. Andrew and Fr. Anthony celebrated the Akathist service to the saints of America in a park in Tsarskoye Selo near the place where St. John of Chicago was martyred. He was the first priest to loose his life during the Bolshevik revolution. On the stand are icons of St. Innocent and St. Tikhon. Fr. Andrew planned to celebrate the Akathist but was unsure where and when. It was providential to hold it in this beautiful setting near the railroad tracks.
For information concerning the life of St. John of Chicago please click here
St. Luke Joins Life Chain
Several of our parishioners gave of there free time to make a staement concerning their views on Right to Life and abortion. They joined many others to participate in the Life Chain. They were stationed on La Grange Road. Here you can see them with their posters.
Children's Sermon For October
The Sermon this month was about Love. Fr. Andrew dropped pebbles into a bowl and ask the children to look for the ripples which form rings. The bigger the pebble the larger the rings. He said that love was like this. When we love it ripples out and make people happy.
Then he asked the children what they thought love was. He then read from the 1Cor. 13 about love and how it is patient, kind, never Jealous, boastful or rude . How it always seeks the truth, trusts, hopes and forgives. He challenged the children to love the way Jesus loves us.